Community safety sectors Insurance
Every sector we work with is managing the rapid acceleration of knowledge and capabilities within community safety. We help our collaborators navigate this growth by providing the data, tools, applications, and guidance needed to prepare for the future.
Our community safety team collaborate with insurance providers to:
- Better represent the uncertainties in hazard assessments
- Gain a better understanding of the disruption of economic activity caused by hazard events
- Better characterise exposure information and improve models of dynamic exposure and future populations
- Incorporate knowledge of community perceptions of risk and insurance penetration
- Support the enhancement of climate resilience into building codes
- Quantify the drivers of disaster risk
National Seismic Hazard Assessment (NSHA)
The NSHA defines the level of earthquake ground shaking across Australia, allowing higher hazard areas to be identified and mitigation strategies to be developed.
Tropical Cyclone Hazard Assessment (TCHA)
Define the severe wind hazard posed by tropical cyclones in Australia. Use it to calculate local cyclone impact models and develop evidence-based evacuation plans and mitigation strategies.
Case study Estimating terrorism loss in Australian cities
How Geoscience Australia used computational modelling to estimate the financial losses associated with terrorist blasts and chemical or biological plume releases.
Our world-class terrorism modelling capabilities are vital to understanding the physical damage and financial losses from a terrorist attack in Australia.