Community safety sectors Infrastructure
Every sector we work with is managing the rapid acceleration of knowledge and capabilities within community safety. We help our collaborators navigate this growth by providing the data, tools, applications, and guidance needed to prepare for the future.
Our community safety team collaborate with the infrastructure sector to:
- Inform decision making that safeguard existing and emerging infrastructure
- Inform revisions to loading standards that contribute to the National Construction Code
- Characterise the hazard environment to support design decisions
- Provide the evidence base to ensure infrastructure investment programs are fit for the environment
- Develop vulnerability models for infrastructure systems to determine the vulnerability of interconnected infrastructure systems
National Seismic Hazard Assessment (NSHA)
The NSHA defines the level of earthquake ground shaking across Australia, allowing higher hazard areas to be identified and mitigation strategies to be developed.
Tropical Cyclone Hazard Assessment (TCHA)
Define the severe wind hazard posed by tropical cyclones in Australia. Use it to calculate local cyclone impact models and develop evidence-based evacuation plans and mitigation strategies.
Case study Analysing historic geomagnetic data to identify space weather hazards
How historic geomagnetic data is influencing Australian electricity infrastructure decision making.