Community safety sectors Industry
Every sector we work with is managing the rapid acceleration of knowledge and capabilities within community safety. We help our collaborators navigate this growth by providing the data, tools, applications, and guidance needed to prepare for the future.
Our community safety team collaborate with the industry to:
- Provide information that guides continuity planning to safeguard businesses
- Develop localised hazard profiles that estimate the level of damage to the built environment for given hazard scenarios, and estimate the economic impact of these scenarios
- Gain a better understanding of the disruption of economic activity
- Illuminate when an event could become catastrophic
- Provide advice and actionable information to reduce the natural hazard risk to business
National Seismic Hazard Assessment (NSHA)
The NSHA defines the level of earthquake ground shaking across Australia, allowing higher hazard areas to be identified and mitigation strategies to be developed.
Tropical Cyclone Hazard Assessment (TCHA)
Define the severe wind hazard posed by tropical cyclones in Australia. Use it to calculate local cyclone impact models and develop evidence-based evacuation plans and mitigation strategies.
Case study Analysing historic geomagnetic data to identify space weather hazards
How historic geomagnetic data is influencing Australian electricity infrastructure decision making.
Australian magnetic-field monitoring is providing an invaluable dataset for safeguarding Australian infrastructure and industry.
Senior Geomagnetic Scientist at Geoscience Australia